I realized Flavorful Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake. The travesty of this realization was appalling since last year I made my first and best ice cream cakes ever.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake
FOR CAKE LAYERS:
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
FOR ICE CREAM LAYERS:
- 2 pints chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- chocolate ganache for drizzling
FOR CAKE LAYERS:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat two 8-inch round baking pans with baking spray, line with parchment paper and spray parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg whites, one at a time until just combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the flour and buttermilk, alternatively, starting and ending with the flour. Gently fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter equally into the prepared pans and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire cooling rack. Let cake cool completely. You can freeze cake layers before assembling ice cream cake.
FOR ICE CREAM LAYER
- A day before serving, assemble the cake. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment. Spray parchment. Line the inside of the pan with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang on all sides. Smooth out the plastic very carefully. Place the prepared pan in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Remove the first pint of ice cream from the freezer and let sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Use a spoon and mix the ice cream until spreadable. Place one cake at the bottom of the springform pan. Top with first pint of ice cream and spread evenly. Transfer to freezer and let firm up for at least an hour. Repeat with the other cake layer and pint of ice cream Wrap cake top with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 3-4 hours but preferably overnight.
- On the day of serving, unmold cake from pan by passing a sharp knife around the edges before loosening the springform pan. Remove plastic wrap and move cake to a cake board or stand. Return to freezer.
- Using an electric mixer, in a medium bowl whip the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat until grainy.
- Remove cake from freezer and frost as you would normally with whipped cream. Decorate with sprinkles if desired. Freeze cake for another hour.
- To serve, remove from freezer about 30 minutes before serving. Cut with a sharp knife.