You want to eat cookies with Bran Cereal, here I show you the Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars recipe using Bran Cereal.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe
Wondering what to do with the crumbled bran cereal that nobody even wants to touch? Make these delicious egg free chocolate chip cookie bars using the leftover cereal.
- 1 and 1/2 cups bran flakes (I used All Bran)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (I used avocado)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Line a 9-inch round baking pan with parchment paper. (See My Notes)
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients listed in Part 1.
- In another medium size bowl, whisk together brown sugar, oil, cornstarch, water and vanilla.
- Stir in the wet mix into the cereal mixture. You may have to add a tablespoon or two of water if the consistency of the dough is too thick.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F/180C for about 30-32 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool it on a wire rack for a few minutes. Then take the cookie out and let it cool completely before you can cut it into wedges.
- The original recipe had mentioned to use a 9×13 inch pan. But I wanted to use a circular pan to get triangle shaped cookie bars. So choose any pan size you prefer but make sure that you adjust the baking time accordingly.
- I used cornstarch to replace the one egg in the recipe but I think flax egg would be a better option. You might get a softer cookie bar.
|Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.7g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 2g|
|Total Carb 31.1g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6%|
|Vitamin A 0% – Vitamin C 1%|
|Calcium 6% – Iron 3%|